6 min read
Lee Ching Wei, Group CEO of iMoney Group. Photo courtesy of Wardrobe.
I said, "Hey Ching, can I ask you 33 questions? Random off-beat ones?"
He said: "Sure, why not?"
And so here we are, seated at Coffee @ Common, located at Common Ground, a co-working space at Wisma UOA II, Kuala Lumpur with our cups of hot lattes. After some serious talk about money and financial growth as well as preservation, I proceeded to ask Ching the 33 Questions. And here are his answers.
1. Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
CH: Hunter, for sure.
2. If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
CH: Dog because it's a man's best friend.
3. What colour describes you best?
CH: Blue. The iMoney blue.
4. What object represents your personality?
CH: The smartphone. Because it's technology. And it's smart haha.
5. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
CH: A smartphone.
6. If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your grandchildren?
CH: Live life the way you will not regret when you turn 80. Like travel the world, take risks.
7. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
CH: 28. I feel like that's the best age of my life so far.
8. If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
CH: Someone boring. An unnamed actor. (after probing further he finally said) the Captain America guy, Chris Evans. Because he's righteous, and well-respected.
9. What movie, no matter how many times you’ve seen it, do you have to watch when it’s on?
CH: Jurassic Park because it's cool. There's dinosaurs haha.
10. If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be?
CH: A way to extend the human life. I've got this fascination about living forever.
11. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
CH: Batman. Just because he is human and he's got cool gadgets.
12. What would you name the autobiography of your life?
CH: Life of Ching. Read for Surprises. haha
13. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
CH: I'm not really a song person but I think it's We Are Young by Fun and Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional.
14. What story does your family always tell about you?
CH: I was really really naughty when I was 6 years old before Primary school. You know how Chinese family, so my mom used the cane in the past. I was so naughty that I got caned 3 times in one day, once. They keep reminding because I think it's a big contrast today, the way I turned out.
15. Is there something you constantly lose at your house or anywhere?
CH: Funny enough, no. I always reminder where I put things. It's a special gift of mine.
16. The one superpower you wish you had…
17. Your superhero name?
CH: Kah-CHING (with the starburst effect, haha!)
18. What is your kryptonite?
CH: Animals. Puppies. I'm a dog person.
19. Best invention?
CH: Right now, I think whatever Elon Musk is doing to get to Mars. Some super high speed long travel rocket.
20. What keys on the keyboard that you do not use?
CH: The asterisk * haha..... because I don't write terms and conditions
21. Your most used emoji on your smartphone?
CH: The smiley emoji with the sunglasses
22. Which two organizations outside your own do you know the most people at and why?
CH: Fave, KFit, I have lots of friends there. The other one is SAYS.
23. If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them, how would you choose which ones to answer?
CH: Ooh that's really tough. I don't leave anything unread. But if I have to choose I will sort by the importance, by priority of the person who are sending it to me, then by recency.
24. If you had to leave your organization for a year and the only communication you could have with employees was a single paragraph, what would you write?
CH: Look guys. You got this. You don't need me. You guys will grow the business. You've done it in the last for (god knows) how long. All I'm there for is supporting you, so I don't think you'll miss me. I'm looking forward to come back to better numbers....and don't burn down the office! haha.
25. What are the most important decisions that you face daily as a leader in your organization?
CH: Resource allocation. Maximizing the resource that we have whether it is cash, human resource, making sure it's the best outcome for the company.
26. At what percentage, are your daily decisions have been based on analysis and intuition?
CH: 80% analysis, 20% intuition.
27. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
CH: The landing of the astronaut on the moon. That's one of the best or the greatest feat of mankind. It is why I have the obsession with Mars... and Elon (Musk).
28. What is the one thing you still have from your childhood?
CH: I don't really keep stuff. I think it's an old shirt. A really really old shirt which I wore in high school not even primary. It's just very comfortable. That's not really childhood though haha.
29. What’s a skill that you think you can never master?
CH: Musical instruments - piano, guitar, ukelele, anything. Drawing also. I'm terrible at it.
30. What were you doing the last time you looked at a clock and realized you had lost all track of time?
CH: At the beach actually. Time seems to go by at the beach. I don't look at the clock until the sun is setting.
31. What is the longest you have gone without sleep?
CH: Early iMoney days. i think I've gone about 40 hours. I basically skipped one night. Had something urgent or some sort. Won't recommend it to anyone. It destroys you.
32. The most annoying question you’ve ever been asked.
CH: Before I got married, "Bila nak kahwin?" (When are you getting married?).
33. Your favourite brainy quote.
CH: "Time is our most valulable nonrenewable resource, and if we want to treat it with respect, we need to set priorities." - Albert-Leiszlo Barabeisi
What is the colour of money?
CH: Multiple colours - think of Monopoly haha. The rainbow colour. If I have to pick one color, it will have to be black. Actually no lah, it's actually gold, shiny like the gold coin.
Thanks so much Ching! It was fun. Looking forward to the next coffee chat!
Check out Ching's DRESSING THE MAN video for Wardrobe, the award-winning bespoke made-to-measure men's suits brand, based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where he talks about time, money and his personal style.
Campaign page: www.wardrobe-dressingtheman.com
YouTube video: https://youtu.be/oJWclZPyUZA
For more of my entrepreneurial adventures, check out my Instagram @mawarni.adam